New robotics platform, a work in progress
I've always been playing around with small robotics projects, and for the longest time i've been iterating on a tank track driven base.
The latest iteration up until now had been based on some Makerbeam, combined with 3d printed tracks and 4 geared dc motors.
Now i recently saw some youtube videos by a guy named Ivan Miranda, and was very inspired by his take on a 3d printed tank, especially how he implemented a suspension system was really cool.
So, i decided to start making my robot base from scratch again.
Now i didn't want as large a bot as Ivan's, but i did want to make the platform bigger than the current one, and i did really like the whole modular compartment setup he did, so the current design plan is 4 boxes that are 120mm x 200mm x 70mm each.
I'm still working out some stuff with the boxes, but its moving along.
It got some holders for ball bearings and a channel to pass a ziptie through to hold down the bearing that will have the driveshaft going through to the tracks.
As the title suggests, the new design is very much still a work in progress, and i will try to document the progress as much as possible. Currently i have pretty much finalized the new tracks, though i need to make some inserts for more traction.
I've gone through a couple of iterations, but i think the final design is now pretty good.
The first version was very basic and some parts where to small and brittle, as you can see on the picture bellow, the middle one actually broke when i tried to remove one of the pins.
The final design got beefed up a bit and made cutout to mount the traction plates.
And that is basicly the progress so far, will post more updates as i move along.